Who is Bertrand De Jouvenel?
Bertrand de Jouvenel des Ursins (31 October 1903 – 1 March 1987) was a French philosopher, political economist, and futurist. He taught at the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge, the University of Manchester, Yale University, the University of Chicago, and the University of California, Berkeley.
- Après la Défaite (After the Defeat), 1941
- On Power: The Natural History of Its Growth, 1948
- The Ethics of Redistribution, 1951
- Sovereignty: An Inquiry into the Political Good, 1957
- The Pure Theory of Politics, 1963
- The Art of Conjecture, 1967
De Jouvenel is a proponent of the idea of power structures being built around elites and the lowest class operating together against the middle. He has also made arguments that liberal democracies greatly enhanced the power of the state over its comparative power during the era of monarchy.
For a video that summarizes a lot of his work, I direct you to the embedded work below. I encourage you to do so as it is fascinating: